Thursday, April 9, 2009




MORRIGAN
Gender: Feminine
Usage: Irish Mythology
Derived from Irish Mhór Rioghain meaning "great queen". In Irish myth she was a goddess of war and death who often took the form of a crow.


The Tain Bo Cuailnge is the text in which the Morrigan and the Hound of Ulster, Cu Chulainn, meet. Angelique Gulermovich Epstein shows that in the Tain, Morrigan's first appearance is giving a phrophetic warning via a poem about war in Ulster. Morrigan's first meeting with Cu Chulaiin is in the form of a crow and she insults himTheir next meeting, she appears in the form of a beautiful woman to seduce him, and he rejects her. Morrigan then shapeshifts into a cow and he shatters one of her eyes. So she appears as an eel, and then as a wolf. After his injuring Morrigan three times, she heals. She condems him by forcing him to violate one of his geasa (taboos). Cu Chulainn is forbidden to eat the flesh of a dog and also to pass a hearth fire where food is offered without having some. He is trapped by a hag, who is Morrigan in desguise cooking over a fire. Angelique Gulermovich Epstein states, " At one point, Morrigan aides him in a battle. She does not want him to go to a battle in which he won't return." On the surface, Morrigan is antagonistic towards Cu Chulainn and yet helps him to seek victory in battle for Ulster. He is eventually wounded in battle and dies. Morrigan in crow form rests on his shoulder to guard his death. Symbolism.
The colors that correspond with Morrigan are red and black. The crow and raven is the animals that most represents her although cows and eels do also. Her season is winter. She takes us through the wheel of life to grow. Death is a part of life and you can not have rebirth without it. For wombyn, menstral blood is symbolic to Morrigan for it is a wombyn's primal power that she draws from. The Crone is the Great White Goddess. The Mother aspect is the Moon Goddess and Queen of the faeries. Her dark aspect deals with war and death. Poem
by Burning Snow
Hear my soul cry out in rage
feel my rage
the trees are torn from my body
my waters are poisioned
humans encaging animals in feces
no room to turn around
slave to the dollar
humans are
why I ask
gauking at circus animals
no pride just greed
look into animals eyes
look I say
feel their fear
does no one care
they ask why
what do I tell them
they are not souls to you
oppress the poor
so you can get rich
slave to the dollar
illusion of freedom
all of the isms
classims
sexismm
racism
and more
all symptoms of your poison
angry am I
feel my anger
I am dying
does anyone care
this earth a dustbowl will be
and yet I love you
I, Goddess, love unconditionally
rise up against the poison
let me know someone hears
the earth and I are one
I am the animals
I am the trees
I am the ocean
I am the air
I am you
free yourself as a slave
break the chains
hear my screams of pleas
wake up before its too late
hear the pleas of nature
calling to you
you are one with them
you do this to yourself
cry with me
then say no more
start anew
build this earth with Goddess love
take my hand
Morrigan I am
end of this filth of man
rebirth comes from destruction
the time of the phoenix is here
silence
dawn is here
feel Her warmth
see her warmth
do Her warmth








No comments:

Post a Comment